Have you chipped or cracked a tooth? A dental crown covers a tooth to restore its original shape and strength.
If any of your teeth have been damaged or weakened, our Sydney CBD dentists may recommend fitting a crown over the tooth’s existing structure to protect it and restore the look and function of your smile.
Crowns are custom made by our dentists to be a perfect fit and a match for your natural tooth colour. We offer traditional crowns as well as same-day CEREC crowns that can sometimes be designed, manufactured and fitted in a single visit.
Who can benefit from a dental crown?
Our dentists may recommend a crown to repair or strengthen a tooth for many different reasons. Crowns may also be part of a larger dental treatment, or they can be chosen for aesthetic reasons if you want to change the appearance of a tooth.
Crowns can be used to:
If we think you could benefit from a dental crown, we’ll explain what you need to know about the procedure, its costs and any associated risks so you can make an informed decision about your oral health.
Types of dental crowns
Crowns can be chosen in a range of materials that each have their pros and cons, depending on your preferences and price range. These include:
- Porcelain crowns – the closest in appearance to natural tooth enamel, porcelain and ceramic crowns can be colour-matched to your existing tooth shade or made lighter if you prefer.
- Porcelain fused to metal crowns (PFM) – porcelain surrounding a metal core, these are stronger than all-ceramic crowns, but they can look darker in some light conditions.
- Metal crowns – stronger and longer-lasting than porcelain, metal crowns are less popular nowadays, as most people prefer a more natural-looking option.
- Same-day ceramic crowns – depending on how complex your restoration is, our dentists may be able to complete your crown procedure in a single appointment using CEREC CAD/CAM technology.
How are crowns fitted?
If you choose to have a dental crown at our Sydney clinic, this is usually completed in two or more visits and involves the following steps:
- On your first visit, we’ll prepare the tooth for a crown by removing a thin layer of the enamel. This ensures that the tooth won’t be bulky when the crown is fitted over the top.
- We’ll take a mould (impression) of the tooth and fit you with a temporary crown to protect your tooth until your next visit.
- The mould of your tooth is sent to a dental laboratory, where a technician will hand craft your custom crown. For porcelain or ceramic crowns, we’ll select a shade that blends in with your natural teeth.
- When your permanent crown is ready, we’ll check that it fits properly and make any adjustments that may be needed. We’ll then bond the crown into place using cement or adhesive.
It can take from a few days to a week for your crown to arrive back at our dental clinic. If you’re having a CEREC same-day dental crown, we can design and manufacture your crown in our clinic using 3D imaging software and an on-site milling machine, often during a single visit.
Dental crowns FAQ
Once your crown has been fitted, it can last for many years with proper care. It’s important to keep brushing and flossing the tooth under the crown as normal, as decay or gum disease could cause the crown to come loose. You should also keep up with your regular dental check-ups.
Over time, crowns may become damaged, stained or discoloured. If you want to replace a crown or filling, we can remove the old restoration and fit a new custom crown in the material of your choice, with minimal alteration to the tooth.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. We’ll make sure you know about any possible side-effects or complications before you agree to have a crown fitted. This includes the risk of the tooth becoming more sensitive after the enamel is reduced, but this usually goes away within a few days and can be managed by taking pain relief medication.
If your crown comes loose or gets damaged, or you notice other unexpected problems after your treatment, contact our Sydney dental clinic to make an emergency appointment.
Our dental crown price in Sydney is based on the type and size of your crown you choose. We’ll give you a quote for dental crown cost or crown replacement price during your consultation.
We believe that quality dental care should be affordable. That’s why we accept all health funds and offer payment plans to help more people benefit from cheap dental crowns in Sydney.
A crown isn’t always the only option to repair, strengthen or change the appearance of a tooth. Depending on what you need, we may discuss alternatives including:
with a Sydney CBD dentist today
Whether you’re a new or returning patient, our team of Sydney dentists look forward to seeing you at Sydney Dental Surgeons. Our Sydney CBD dental clinic is conveniently located at 135 Macquarie Street, close to Martin Place train station. Bus stops and secure paid parking are available on Macquarie Street.
Call our friendly team on (02) 9221 1530 for more information about our clinic or to schedule a visit.